Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Fish Escabeche

I just googled the word escabeche to see if anything interested came up, and sure enough I found out that escabeche is "a Spanish seared or pickled fish that is great for hot summers." It is interesting how through writing this blog I am learning about the background of the food I grew up with, which I never questioned before. Escabeche is indeed a summer dish. It is best served cold or overnight. In my family this was (and still is) a party dish, since it didn't have to be kept warm until the guests arrived. This weekend my aunt made this dish for a family party. My husband tried it for the first time and when we got home, asked if I knew how to make it - translated: can you make it, please? As a result, here is the recipe (serves 2 hungry people):
Ingredients:
  • 1lb of Tilapia
  • 1 large red onion cut in strips
  • 1/2 cup of flour
  • 1/2 cup of vinegar
  • 1 spoon of paprika (or aji especial)
  • 1/4 of a cup of vegetable oil
  • 1 tea spoon of oregano
  • 1/2 tea spoon of cumin
  • 1 tea spoon of sugar
  • Salt and pepper
How to make it: Get the fish ready (rinse, dry) and cut the fillets in half and then half of the half :) so 4 pieces per fillet. Salt and pepper the fish and apply a coating of flour. Fry the fish in hot oil (high heat). Be generous with the oil so that the fish can deep fry in it. Once the fish is ready remove and put them in a tray. Remove some of the oil, keeping enough for the sauce. Reduce the heat to medium. Add the onions, vinegar, oregano, cumin, paprika, salt, pepper, and sugar. Mix well, taste and adjust seasoning if needed. You may add olives and hard boiled eggs if you feel a little artsy ;)

Buen provecho!

No comments:

Post a Comment